Summer is officially here June 21, which means most of you will be reaching for the swimmies, surf boards and beach umbrellas to get ready for vacation. While you’re busy running around, remember to prepare your property for vacation too. There are several important security and property measures to take prior to leaving for your favorite destination.
The Safer, The Better:
- Make your house look like someone is home to avoid break-ins, such as stopping the newspaper or asking a neighbor to clean out your mailbox.
- Check all locks on doors and windows and turn on the security system.
- Leave on a lamp while turning off all others.
- Notify your credit card company that you will not be in town.
- Leave emergency contact information with a neighbor.
Prep Your Property for Vacay:
- Unplug small appliances and electronics.
- Make sure water valves are turned off to the sink and appliances, such as the dishwasher and washing machine.
- Set the water heater to “vacation mode” so that it runs less and saves money.
- Place the thermostat on 85 degrees, but no hotter to guard your furniture, plants and pets.
- Run your kitchen sink disposal with vinegar or lemon to remove unwanted scents.
- Discard any trash and dispose of perishable food.
We hope these few tips will help you in feeling at ease about leaving your property and allow you to fully enjoy this year’s vacation. If you have any property damage caused by water, fire, mold or storms, Call Paul! We’re available 24/7 for all of your restoration, reconstruction and remodeling needs.