This month is the time to make any last-minute preparations before school starts. Whether you’re buying school supplies for a little one, prepping your teen for high school, or improving your own education, follow these safety tips to this month run as smoothly as possible.
School Zones are for Kids
- Follow the speed limit while in a school zone.
- Follow the direction of school crossing guards.
- Brake for school buses on both sides of the road and be very cautious of children.
- While in a school zone, do not make U-turns, pass other vehicles, or change lanes.
- Look out for children, especially near schools and parks.
- Never text and drive.
- Use a hands-free device if you need to make any calls.
- Unless licensed, do not park in handicap spaces.
Walking to School
- Always look both ways before crossing the street.
- Only cross streets at designated crosswalks.
- Obey traffic signals, signs, and pavement markings.
- Teach traffic safety awareness and pick the safest route between your home and the school.
- Instruct your children to:
- never get into a car with anyone, even if they know them, without your permission.
- always walk to school with someone else.
- report the incident to you or a teacher immediately if another person asks them to get into a vehicle.
- Teen driving statistics are astounding!
- “Half of all teens will be involved in a car crash before graduating from high school.” – NSC.org
- “Car accidents are the top cause of death for U.S. teens – more than than suicide, disease, and homicide combined.” – NSC.org
- Teach your teens the basics of being a good driver. Use the resources below:
Being aware of these tips will lead to a safer back-to-school season.
-From your friends at Paul Davis
Recover. Reconstruct. Restore.